Nikolaou Plastira 100, Vassilika Vouton
P.O Box 1385
GR-70013 Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Phone: +30 2810 391672
Fax: +30 2810 391428
His research interests are in the broader area of Algorithms and Applications:
- Medical Image Analysis
- Computational Oncology
- Biomedical Informatics
- Image Processing and Computer Vision
- Molecular Imaging
- Gene-Expression Imaging
- Computer Aided Diagnosis
Participation in Research Projects
- Contra Cancrum: Clinically Oriented Translational Cancer Multilevel Modelling, € 5.167.660, 01/08/2008-31/07/2011 (Project Coordinator)
- TUMOUR: FP7-GA 247754, 396.220 €, 1/4/2010-31/3/2013 (Project Coordinator)
- p-Medicine: From data sharing and integration via VPH models to personalized medicine, FP7-GA 270089, 1.242.435 €, 1/2/2011-31/1/2015
- INTEGRATE: Driving Excellence in Integrative Cancer Research through Innovative Biomedical Infrastructures, FP7-GA 270253, 818.300 €, 1/2/2011-31/1/2014
- EURECA: Enabling Information re-Use by linking clinical REsearch and Care (FP7 ICT-2010.5.3). 865.536,00 €, 2011-2015
- VPH Noe: Virtual Physiological Human Network of Excellence VPH NoE, € 806.877,77, 01/06/2008-30/11/2012 (third party through ECRIM)
- ACGT: Advancing Clinico-Genomic Clinical Trials on Cancer: Open Grid Services for Improving Medical Knowledge Discovery, € 17.685.539, 01/02/2006-31/01/2010
Marias Dr. Kostas Marias holds a Principal Researcher position in the Institute of Computer Science (ICS-FORTH), leading the Computational Medicine Laboratory at FORTH-ICS (previously Biomedical Informatics Laboratory).
During 2001-2003, he worked as a Researcher at the University of Oxford on a medical image analysis project related to the early detection of breast cancer in women that use Hormone Replacement Therapy. He completed his PhD in the field of Medical Image Analysis/ Medical Physics in 2001 (UCL London, Royal Free Hospital) working in the Medical Vision Lab, University of Oxford. His PhD research focused on the development of software for the non-rigid registration of mammograms which he further developed as a part of a commercially available CAD system. During 2000-2002, he was a senior consulting scientist with the diagnostic software company Mirada Solutions Ltd. (UK), a spin-off from the University of Oxford. He also holds an MSc degree from Imperial college of Science, Technology and Medicine in Physical Science and Engineering in Medicine as well as a Electrical Engineering Diploma from the National Technical University of Athens (N.T.U.A).
Currently he is the coordinator of 2 EC projects on cancer modelling (ContraCancrum http://www.contracancrum.eu/ και TUMOR http://www.tumor-project.eu/ ), and is actively involved in providing open access image analysis/modelling tools in the clinical setting for the promotion of predictive oncology within the wider Virtual Physiological Human (VPH) EC initiative. A number of open access tools has been already made publicly available from http://biomodeling.ics.forth.gr/ .
He has published more than 70 papers in international journals and conference proceedings in fields of medical image analysis, cancer modelling for the Virtual Physiological Human (VPH), image registration and fusion of different image modalities, breast cancer imaging, multi-modal retrieval and molecular and gene-Expression Imaging.